Queenstown and the West Coast Wilderness Railway

Queenstown is a town in the West Coast region of the island of Tasmania, Australia. It is in a valley on the western slopes of Mount Owen on the West Coast Range. Queenstown has a population of less than 2,000.

Queenstown’s history is basically tied to the mining industry. This mountainous area was first explored in 1862. It was long after that when alluvial gold was discovered at Mount Lyell, prompting the formation of the Mount Lyell Gold Mining Company in 1881. In 1892, the mine began searching for copper. The final name of the Mount Lyell company was the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company.

Approachin Queenstown form the east. Horsetail Falls and a reminder of old mines…

While there is still mining in the area the prosperity of the town has declined from its peak but there was another brief reprieve in activities when several hydro dam schemes were built nearby in the 1980s.

Overlooking Queenstown and view up Orr Street
Queenstown from the approach road above plus closeups in the town

West Coast Wilderness Railway

The west of Tasmania and especially the Queenstown area was mineral rich. First gold was discovered but later it was found to contain rich deposits of copper. Until 1932 there were no roads linking Queenstown to Hobart (or anywhere else really). Building the railway was the only way to get copper from the mine at Queenstown to the markets. In fact to the sea at the port of Strahan on the Macquarie harbour on the west coast. Until 1932, when a Hobart road link was completed, it was the only access through to Queenstown.

Some notable Queenstown buildings

When a guy called Anthony Edwin Bowes Kelly discovered what was thought to be the richest copper mine in the world at the Mount Lyell Mine, he realised he needed a route to transport his riches to the growing market places. Bowes Kelly lived by moto; We find a way, or make it. Well: He made it. The railway was built in just a few years despite having to cross dense rainforest and incredibly steep climbs and descents. The line operated from 1892 but was officially opened in 1897.

Queenstown station

The steep inclines were overcome by building a rack and pinion railway – using the recent Swiss invention by a Dr. Roman Abt. He made the design based on the cogs of a clock and involved a third central rail of solid bars with vertical teeth that engaged with small cogwheels on the underside of the locomotive engine. The system enabled trains to haul loads up steep hillsides, and (just as importantly) created a braking effect on the downhill side. The steepest gradient on the rack section was 1 in 12 (8.33%).

Up the track. Rack and pinion design enabled the steep climbs

It is a real testament to how well it was built that all these years later it still functions despite the ever encroaching rainforest and unbelievably steep drops right at trackside. After so many years of weathering by rain and landslides. It’s another example of “they just don’t make them like that any more”.

A stop along the route through the dense rainforest
Another station. The oddly named Dubbil Barril
The Empire Hotel. Another example of “they don’t build them like that any more”
The Paragon Theatre, Queenstown complete with murals

As always, if you enjoyed this post hit the like button and feel free to pass it on to friends and anyone you think may like it. Also follow us on Twitter (X?) and/or sign up for emails of all posts. Till the next..

The mighty King River
A walk around part of the rainforest near Dubbil Barril station

3 thoughts on “Queenstown and the West Coast Wilderness Railway

Leave a Reply